Iron and steel manufacturing in Kolsva and the Hedström Valley is of very ancient origin. The first hammer mill in Kolsva was set up in 1548 by Parson Vidik of Munktorp. This smithy was totally destroyed by floods in 1576 but was brought back to life in 1641 when Olof Hising, the burgomaster of Köping and 'uncrowned king of the Hedström Valley' recommenced operations.
During the 18th century the forge was run by Thomas Tersmeden and Johanna Margareta Diurclou. The beginnings of modern Kohlswa started in 1853 when Forge Master Lars Lindberg bought the forge. During his time Lindberg invested in several rolling mills thereby creating the basis for surviving the 'demise of the rural factory' of the 1870s. After an 11-year guest appearance by his son-in-law Magnus Lindberg, Lars was succeeded in 1886 by his son Lars-Uno Lindberg who began manufacturing castings at Kohlswa. Kohlswa Jernverks AB was recorded in Lloyds Register of Shipping as an approved supplier of steel castings as early as 1893.
This legacy of quality is carried on today by Kohlswa Gjuteri AB which has the same approval.
In 1917 the Lindberg family relinquished ownership of Kohlswa Jernverks AB to Forge Master Kristoffer Huldt and partners. The 1920s were a time of financial difficulty and in 1927 Kohlswa Ironworks ended up in the hands of Skandinaviska Banken. In the same year Verner Carlsson became the general manager. He was succeeded in 1935 by Eric Forsberg who was in turn succeeded in 1948 by the last general manager of the forge, Gunnar Nordström. Nordström, who was a metallurgical engineer and technically highly skilled, set up both the powder metallurgy factory and the shell moulding foundry. During the 1950s and '60s Kohlswa Ironworks was at its peak with nigh on 1200 employees. Marcus 'Dodde' Wallenberg sat on the company's board as chairman in the years 1946-1953, 1957-1960 and 1968-1973. At that time Kohlswa Ironworks was the biggest steel foundry in Scandinavia with an annual output of 6000 tons. In 1968 Kohlswa Ironworks became part of the ASEA Group and was later sold to the Gränges Group, part of Electrolux, in 1981. In 1985 Gränges chose to divisionalise Kohlswa Jernverks AB and at the end of the 1980s and beginning of the 1990s the divisions were sold off to various groups and private individuals.
Kohlswa Gjuteri AB was formed in 1991 with the company's management as the majority shareholders. Since 2008 the company is a member of Nötudden Casting Group. Today's Kohlswa Gjuteri AB continues to carry on the tremendous tradition of steel manufacture that exists in the buildings. Our experienced and committed staff are our biggest competitive strength. This is demonstrated in particular by the approvals from international classification societies.
Kohlswa Ironworks 1904
Lloyds Register of Shipping